Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cutting Back is Great, Winning is Better, and Earning More is Best





Sprint #1 and My Victory Pose

Everyday many of the personal finance blogs preach cutting back and living frugal.  I agree with and do my best to practice many of the principals talked about on a daily basis.  I however lean more towards the Big Wins and most importantly Earning More is the best.

I tend to look at it with examples, I can cut back on my groceries for $40 less a month, I can research on buying my next TV and save a $200 for the big win, or even better I can start a side gig and make an extra $500 month.  All are great, but as I prefer I'd rather go out and kill something and drag it back, you know earn the extra money.

I can't stress this enough, the best way to pay off debt, live comfortably, and be happier overall is to earn more, simple right. (I'm a work in progress and always remember you can't outearn your spending). This can mean so many things.  I turned to eBay to buy and sell items which earns me an income.  This just happens to be something I'm comfortable with, that I know a good amount about or have learned over time.  I work at a bank so it really has nothing to deal with my current job, just something I enjoy. I started doing this for fun, little extra money for going to a Daniel Tosh stand up, nice dinner for the wife and I, since it felt like what my Dad like to call his "beer money" fund, it is great.

So the question is Why can't you go out and do something similar, maybe you are a mechanic full-time, why not earn more by doing oil changes on the side, something simiple.  Let's say your a nurse, why not teach part time on the side.  There is a 101 different things you can do to give your income a boost.  I'm not just talking about your everyday full-time job working the 9-5, which you can also do Overtime, Bonus, Raises.  We can all make a little extra money and I am a great example of just trying something out that I figured out how to make extra money, who knew it would be eBay.

On that note I am very proud to announce, Sprint #1 has been completed, with some money to spare. 

I just paid the last little bit off and I am officially at a $0 balance on my student loan.  It's not a debt free scream, but it makes me happy to know I can do it.  I paid off over 3K in 4 short months!

It's been awhile between writing, but working overtime and eBay will do that, but as always expect more and more because this feels great and I want everyone to know it and share.

Please share an example of how you worked a side gig whether it was to pay off debt or buy an ice cream cone, I love hearing it.  Thank you!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment