Friday, August 31, 2012

Automatic Plan-Make things Automatic-Make Paying off Credit Cards a Priority


Automatic Plan-Make things Automatic-Debt, Savings, and Investments

  1. Figure out Where all of your Money is Going
  2. Make things Automatic-Debt, Savings, and Investments
  3. Make paying off Credit Cards a Priority
  4. Add additional payments to the Debt you like the least
  5. Pay off home early
  6. Make sure you and your loved ones are taken care of
  7. Build wealth and give!

If you have read my blog before you know I hate credit cards.  I have done almost everything wrong with credit cards, besides maybe paying late and who knows maybe I did!  Here is a small list of stupid things I have done with credit cards:

  • Pay for my entire Spring Break and not have money to actually pay that
  • Balance Transfer and not be able to pay off the debt before the 0% ends
  • Open up Store Credit Cards with very high interest rates
  • Use the Card to Buy inventory for my business
  • Basically live off of my credit card for 3 months

All of these bad ideas, all of them cost me so much money over the course of probably 12 years of credit cards.  I now have $0 credit card debt and love it.  So what did I do to accomplish this,  I chose the credit card I hated the most, easy selection for me Citibank and paid them off first.  I took every dollar I had and threw it at the credit card.  Spare change, refunds, extra money from side jobs, raise, bonus, whatever I had all towards paying this off.  It worked, it took some time but it worked.  I then had another credit card that I owed money on and due to a small financial windfall paid that off as well.  But it would have been the same thing, take every extra dollar you have and put it towards those stupid credit cards.

Once you have accomplished paying off your credit cards, stopped accumulating any more debt, and have officially cut up those credit cards, pat yourself on the back step 3 is in the books.  Make paying off your credit cards a priority, they are the worst.  They have the highest interest rate, get you into the most trouble, and overall are just a curse for 99% of the world.   So cross it off the list and say good-bye credit cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment